The Plain View Combined School is almost as old as the St. Lucia Ministry of Education having its beginning in 1955. The school was a private school and had its origin at the residence of Mr. & Mrs. Harms who were missionaries serving in Vieux Fort. The students gathered in their living room and were instructed based on Canadian Curriculum. The school began with eight (8) students.
Students were provided with a good foundation of the four language fundamental skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. Students graduating from Plain View School were known for their exemplary penmanship.
The school achieved “Government Assisted” status in 1972 and as part of the requirements of the Government, the school was extended physically so as to accommodate a large number of students. Its doors were opened to the public in 1972 with a minimum of 275 students as requested by the government. To date, the Plain View Combined School now has an enrolment of 619 students and a teaching staff of 29. It is recognised as one of the leading primary schools in the south of the island and continues to be a key ministry of the Evangelical Churches of the West Indies.
Mr. Ignatius Evans piloted the transition and managed it from private to government assisted and became the first local principal in January 1972.
Many have captained this prestigious institution from its inception till now.
The schools’ manager was the deceased Pastor Peter Velinor.
Plain View Combined School has made a significant contribution to the Saint Lucian community socially, economically, morally and spiritually.